The official name of Sanjusangendo(三十三間堂) is Rengeoin. It belongs to the Tendai sect of Buddhism and was built by Emperor Go-Shirakawa in 1164.

Sanjusangendo Temple

The main hall is lined with a total of 1,001 wooden statues, including the seated wooden statue of Senju Kannon (National Treasure), 500 standing wooden statues of Senju Kannon on each side, and a standing wooden statue of Senju Kannon behind the main statue (not exactly 1,001 statues, as some are on loan).The 45-year (1973-2018) repair work on the 1,001 standing wooden statues of the Thousand-Armed Kannon was completed and the statues were designated national treasures.

Sanjusangendo Temple

On Sundays close to January 15, a “Toshi-ya” (bow-drawing ceremony) is held on the west side of the 118-meter main hall (archery range), and many people from all over the country participate in the archery competition.

Sanjusangendo Temple

Access to Sanjusangendo from Kyoto Station is by bus, which takes about 7 minutes.

Sanjusangendo Temple

Sanjusangendo Map

opening hours8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.※Admission until 30 minutes before closing time※9:00 - 16:00 from November 16 to the end of March.
regular closing daywithout a holiday
entrance feeAdults 600 yen, junior high and high school students 400 yen, elementary school students 300 yen
bus stopCity bus Hakubutukan, Sanjusangendo-mae bus stop
stationKeihan Nanajo Station
parking lotParking available (free)
official siteSanjusangendo

Sanjusangendo around

Kyoto Sightseeing Courses

Related Tags