Koumyouji Temple（光明寺） is the head temple of the Nishiyama Jodo sect.Founded by Honen Shonin, the temple was first established by Kumagai Naoizane in 1198.Komyoji Temple, also known as “Momiji-dera,” is famous for its autumn foliage.
From the main gate, walk up the gently sloping front path named “Onna-no-zaka” (slope for women) to the Mikageido Hall, where the principal image is a “papier-mâché image” made by Honen Shonin himself.
The Amida Hall enshrines a 2-meter-high statue of the Amida Nyorai, which is said to have been brought back from Ukimido in Shiga Prefecture by Kumagai Naozane, who carried it on his back.Koumyouji Temple is famous for its autumn foliage, but it also has beautiful cherry blossoms.
To get to Komyoji Temple from Kyoto Station, JR Kyoto Station ⇒ Nagaokakyo Station (approx. 11 minutes ride), JR Nagaokakyo Station bus stop (west exit) ⇒ Asahigaoka Home-mae bus stop (approx. 14 minutes ride).
|9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.※Mikageido is open 9:00-16:00※Main gate closes at 6:00 p.m. except during the fall foliage season.
|regular closing day
|without a holiday
|free※High school students and older: 1,000 yen during the fall foliage season
|Hankyu Bus Komyoji bus stop※Other bus stops in front of Asahigaoka Home are also close by.
|Hankyu Nagaoka Tenjin Station※Approx. 37 min. walk from Nagaoka Tenjin Station (approx. 2.7 km)※The nearest station is JR Nagaokakyo station.
|Parking available（free）※No parking during the fall foliage season, please use public transportation.※Parking is prohibited in the vicinity of Komyo-ji Temple during the fall foliage season.
distance in a straight line : about 1291m
distance in a straight line : about 1765m
distance in a straight line : about 2003m
distance in a straight line : about 2116m
distance in a straight line : about 2548m
distance in a straight line : about 2725m
distance in a straight line : about 2772m
distance in a straight line : about 2831m